GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,649
Threads: 115,520
Welcome to our newest member, ilovepuchi
» Online Users: 1,506
1 members and 1,505 guests
PrettyBoy

Old 11-28-2006, 01:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Any NASCAR fans on here?

Am I the only NASCAR fan on GC?

Last edited by PrettyBoy; 08-18-2008 at 01:52 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-28-2006, 07:03 AM
GreekChat Member

nope! I am a big NASCAR fan! I'm going to Bristol this March.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Nope - there are others. There's another thread somewhere about Nascar, but its been awhile.

I am a HUGE Tony Stewart fan - have been from the very moment he was announced as the driver of the Home Depot #20 PONTIAC (yeah, I am an original fan - no band wagon for me). My orange cat is named "Twenty" and my car is named "Zippy" - Tony thought I was crazy when I met him & showed him a picture of my cat, but he thought it was pretty funny.

I am so very proud of Denny Hamlin for his #3 place in the points for his rookie year - would have LOVED to see him take the championship, but at least February is just around the corner.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:02 AM
GreekChat Member

I like Tony, I also pull for the 8.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinerbock View Post
I like Tony, I also pull for the 8.
The 8 is the golden child of Nascar.... everybody pulls for the 8 I keep telling hubby that they will keep changing the rules until they can figure out a way to give Junior the cup - because at this rate, he'll never win it on his own

I absolutely despise Ryan Newman, both Buschy boys, and Robbie Gordon - the sport would be a lot better off without any of them. I swear that Ryan Newman would pin Hurricane Katrina on Tony if he could figure out a way to do it. I have seen countless interviews where Ryan calls him out and Tony was literally nowhere around -- when the announcers tell Ryan this, he mumbles that Tony had something to do with it. Punk
Old 11-28-2006, 03:42 PM

Personally, I like cars that turn both ways.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I think NASCAR is doing everything it can to eliminate the success of Jr, and any of the old school racers for that matter. NASCAR is doing its best to pull away from its southern base, which completely sucks, given that the best tracks are in the south (Atlanta, Talladega, Charlotte, Daytona, Bristol). I still think Jr. will probably win a couple championships before he's done, but I also think that if he had a Hendrix engine shop, he'd already have one. In my opinion, the best drivers, based on ability, not team, are...
1) Stewart (hands down)
2) Gordon/Junior (Gordon is a smarter driver, but Junior does things that Jeff couldn't dream of doing in a racecar)
3) Hamlin (face it kids, he's good)
4) Kenseth (annoying, but smart)
5) Biffle (most boring driver ever)
6) Harvick

The following would be pretty terrible without a good team backing them:

1) Johnson (whiny bitch, WILL NOT win with less than a great car)
2)Kahne (hopefully he'll get better, but he's timid, and its getting a little pathetic)
3) Kyle Busch (will probably kill someone, I have no idea how such an inept driver made it to Cup racing)
Old 11-28-2006, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE=AXO Alum;1363276]
I am a HUGE Tony Stewart fan - have been from the very moment he was announced as the driver of the Home Depot #20 PONTIAC (yeah, I am an original fan - no band wagon for me). My orange cat is named "Twenty" and my car is named "Zippy" - Tony thought I was crazy when I met him & showed him a picture of my cat, but he thought it was pretty funny.
[QUOTE]

AXOAlum, wanna be friends?

Tony is my absolute favorite! I first met him at the Indy 500 in 2000, and I've been a huge fan ever since. The hub and I even went to Columbus, IN for the parade after he won the Brickyard last year! We live near Eldora, the track he owns and go there alot for the races.

I agree w/ shinerbock about Jimmie Johnson. What a whiny snot. I have serious issues about the fact that Knauss was suspended for cheating before Daytona, and he still was eligible to win the Cup. I'm also anti-Busch brothers, Gordons, and Carl Edwards.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I'll admit..I am a Jr. fan! I have a cardboard cut-out of him, various t-shirts, coasters in my car that have the 8 on them, floor mats and a cd visor with the 8 on them..I even have a tire pressure checker that is Dale Jr. I've always cheered for him though..even before Sr. died. My prize possession is a lug nut from Jr's pit at Pocono. I like Tony as well. The new tradition of climbing the fences is awesome. I hate anything Hendrick..Brian Vickers (who is now Team Red Bull) needs to be beaten for taking out Johnson who then took out Jr. who was winning last lap at the fall Talladega race...Denny Hamlin is a great driver! He has shown a lot of promise in his rookie year. OK...I've gone on enough for now
Old 11-28-2006, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I think NASCAR is doing everything it can to eliminate the success of Jr, and any of the old school racers for that matter. NASCAR is doing its best to pull away from its southern base, which completely sucks, given that the best tracks are in the south (Atlanta, Talladega, Charlotte, Daytona, Bristol). I still think Jr. will probably win a couple championships before he's done, but I also think that if he had a Hendrix engine shop, he'd already have one. In my opinion, the best drivers, based on ability, not team, are...
1) Stewart (hands down)
2) Gordon/Junior (Gordon is a smarter driver, but Junior does things that Jeff couldn't dream of doing in a racecar)
3) Hamlin (face it kids, he's good)
4) Kenseth (annoying, but smart)
5) Biffle (most boring driver ever)
6) Harvick

The following would be pretty terrible without a good team backing them:

1) Johnson (whiny bitch, WILL NOT win with less than a great car)
2)Kahne (hopefully he'll get better, but he's timid, and its getting a little pathetic)
3) Kyle Busch (will probably kill someone, I have no idea how such an inept driver made it to Cup racing)
Yeah, shinerbock, I agree with you about the southern roots of NASCAR. Their used to be two races a year at Darlington and two at Rockingham. Rockingham is gone and they only race one time a Darlington. If they take away Talledega which won't happen, that would suck so bad. Bristol, Martinsville and Talledega are my favorite tracks.

Last edited by PrettyBoy; 07-09-2007 at 04:20 AM.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Gordon is my driver and has been since his rookie year in 93'. Though I think Stewart is the best driver in NASCAR today, because he can win at every track, I still have to stick with Gordon. Gordon has NASCAR records that will more than likely never be beaten. When Gordon retires, I'm switching to Kyle Busch.

I am a NASCAR nut. I've been watching NASCAR since I was 6 yrs old, back when they only showed highlights of the races. I can tell you guys who won the championship from the beginning 1948-2006.

1948-Red Byron
1949-Red Byron
1950-Bill Rexford (Youngest NASCAR champion. He won it at age 23)
1951-Herb Thomas
1952-Tom Flock
1953-Herb Thomas
1954-Lee Petty
1955-Tim Flock
1956-Buck Baker
1957-Buck Baker
1958-Lee Petty
1959-Lee Petty-won the 1st Daytona 500
1960-Rex White
1961-Ned Jarrett
1962-Joe Weatherly
1963-Joe Weatherly
1964-Richard Petty
1965-Ned Jarrett
1966-David Pearson
1967-Richard Petty
1968-David Pearson
1969-David Pearson
1970-Bobby Isaac
1971-Richard Petty
1972-Richard Petty
1973-Benny Parsons
1974-Richard Petty
1975-Richard Petty
1976-Cale Yarborough
1977-Cale Yarborough
1978-Cale Yarborough
1979-Richard Petty
1980-Dale Earnhardt
1981-Darrell Waltrip
1982-Darrell Waltrip
1983-Bobby Allison
1984-Terry Labonte
1985-Darrell Waltrip
1986 Dale Earnhardt
1987-Dale Earnhardt
1988-Bill Elliot
1989-Rusty Wallace
1990-Dale Earnhardt
1991-Dale Earnhardt
1992-Allen Kulwicki
1993-Dale Earnhardt
1994-Dale Earnhardt
1995-The Man (Jeff Gordon)
1996-Terry Labonte
1997-The Man (Jeff Gordon)
1998- The Man (Jeff Gordon) He got 13 wins that year. No one can top that now.
1999- Dale Jarrett
2000-Bobby Labonte
2001-The Man (Jeff Gordon)
2002-Tony Stewart
2003-Matt Kenseth
2004-Kurt Busch
2005-Tony Stewart
2006-Jimmy Johnson

O.K. I was bored just thought I would put that out there. I love NASCAR.

Last edited by PrettyBoy; 07-09-2007 at 04:21 AM.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltAlum View Post
Personally, I like cars that turn both ways.
I do too. I like the Australian V8 Supercars, as well as Formula one. NASCAR is still the one I know the most about though.

Last edited by PrettyBoy; 07-09-2007 at 04:21 AM.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't think they'd take away Dega, but about twice a year, some yankee-ass NASCAR writer presents the idea of going to only one race a year at each of the restrictor plates. Its really gotten to the point where NASCAR likes everything to do with the sport, except for the actual racing part. It baffles me. People will say things like "well, those tracks allow you to draft and provide for lead changes..." Of course they do, thats part of racing. Despite the opinions of the France family and Helton, racing at low speed-low banked tracks does not constitute some purer form of racing. It allows the best car to win, and places the emphasis on the shop rather than the driver. Unfortunately for drivers I like, this usually favors Hendrix. Obviously having a good car is important, but at restrictor plate tracks or places like Atlanta or Bristol, you're generally not gonna win the race simply by having a good car. If you can't draft or pass, you're gonna have a tough time winning at Daytona/Dega/Atlanta regardless of how good your car is.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I don't think they'd take away Dega, but about twice a year, some yankee-ass NASCAR writer presents the idea of going to only one race a year at each of the restrictor plates. Its really gotten to the point where NASCAR likes everything to do with the sport, except for the actual racing part. It baffles me. People will say things like "well, those tracks allow you to draft and provide for lead changes..." Of course they do, thats part of racing. Despite the opinions of the France family and Helton, racing at low speed-low banked tracks does not constitute some purer form of racing. It allows the best car to win, and places the emphasis on the shop rather than the driver. Unfortunately for drivers I like, this usually favors Hendrix. Obviously having a good car is important, but at restrictor plate tracks or places like Atlanta or Bristol, you're generally not gonna win the race simply by having a good car. If you can't draft or pass, you're gonna have a tough time winning at Daytona/Dega/Atlanta regardless of how good your car is.
Yeah that's true. I think pretty much at all the tracks now, you have to have a good car. Years ago before all this down force and restrictor plates, back when NASCAR was NASCAR, I think that's when it was about the driver. Those boys could drive anything back then.

Last edited by PrettyBoy; 07-09-2007 at 04:22 AM.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXO Alum View Post
Nope - there are others. There's another thread somewhere about Nascar, but its been awhile.

I am so very proud of Denny Hamlin for his #3 place in the points for his rookie year - would have LOVED to see him take the championship, but at least February is just around the corner.
Right on! I was bummed that Stewart didn't make the chase but he made some noise and stole some thunder anyways.

I always make it to at least one of the Michigan races each year. Would love to go to Martinsville or Bristol at some point. Had Bristol tickets in my hand for the daytime race this year but couldn't get the days off to travel down and back.

Also.... although I am a "yankee" the sport needs to keep it's southern roots. Darlington and North Wilkesboro were great race tracks.

Last edited by Thrillhouse; 11-28-2006 at 11:56 PM.