GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,648
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, veleypitt5000
» Online Users: 1,756
1 members and 1,755 guests
fmanning

Old 08-05-2014, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb Starting a local sorority!

Hfvj

Last edited by rrey9911; 08-15-2014 at 11:57 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-05-2014, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrey9911 View Post
*please read before you direct me to another thread* A few ladies and I were looking to start a local sorority on campus. Our campus has two panhellenic sororities, a couple latina sororities. We went through recruitment but none of the sororities seemed to be the right fit. So we looked into maybe bringing a new chapter on campus before taking the "start from scratch" route, but once again they were not a right fit. So we finally (after a ton of research) came to the conclusion of founding our own. We have all the details worked out. Rituals, creed, constitution, colors, symbols, coat of arms, flower, gem, etc. However, our campus requires for us to either become affiliated with a national or international organization. Which defeats the purpose of starting our own. We want to be recognized as a sorority and not just a club. We know that by not being recognized we cant partake in many activities and awards. What are other options to this? Are there any national organizations we can be under? What would be the process? We have searched and read all threads but we still cant find an answer. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

*we do not wish to be affiliated with National Panhellenic*
QFP

@~/~~~~
Old 08-05-2014, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

So you have at least 4 (if not more) sororities and none of them were a good fit. Why is that? What are you looking for?
Old 08-05-2014, 04:55 PM

You just said you don't want to be national and then you say "are there any national organizations we can be under?" That sounds like you want some national group to just take you on as a technicality and then do whatever you want. NO.

Get the group going and keep it going. You may have to be a club for a while. If you keep it together, the school will be much more amenable toward recognizing you as a sorority.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrey9911 View Post
*please read before you direct me to another thread* A few ladies and I were looking to start a local sorority on campus. Our campus has two panhellenic sororities, a couple latina sororities. We went through recruitment but none of the sororities seemed to be the right fit. So we looked into maybe bringing a new chapter on campus before taking the "start from scratch" route, but once again they were not a right fit. So we finally (after a ton of research) came to the conclusion of founding our own. We have all the details worked out. Rituals, creed, constitution, colors, symbols, coat of arms, flower, gem, etc. However, our campus requires for us to either become affiliated with a national or international organization. Which defeats the purpose of starting our own. We want to be recognized as a sorority and not just a club. We know that by not being recognized we cant partake in many activities and awards. What are other options to this? Are there any national organizations we can be under? What would be the process? We have searched and read all threads but we still cant find an answer. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

*we do not wish to be affiliated with National Panhellenic*
To the part in red, why does your campus require (inter)national affiliation?

To the part in blue, besides not being national what is the purpose of starting your own sorority? Why not a club instead? What activities and awards are so important to you and your fellow founders that you must be a sorority?
Old 08-05-2014, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Start a club, heck you can even name it with Greek letters. That way you can still buy tons of sorority swag with your letters on it.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGirl View Post
To the part in red, why does your campus require (inter)national affiliation?

To the part in blue, besides not being national what is the purpose of starting your own sorority? Why not a club instead? What activities and awards are so important to you and your fellow founders that you must be a sorority?
Probably so they will have oversight by an adult population and liability insurance....just to name 2 things on the first part. As for the second part, I would assume they have a Greek Awards event of some sort along with maybe Greek Week, Homecoming, etc.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

The question about what was it that you didn't like about the panhellenic sororities is valid. The school is not going to allow you a work-around on that rule. They are under way too much legal liability and this is their way of ensuring oversight. So your choice is 1-stop worrying about starting an organization and just continue being friends or 2-find something that IS a good fit.

If you can explain what it is you're trying to get out of your new sorority, some people here might be able to help you narrow down your choices or redirect your approach.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Get the group going and keep it going. You may have to be a club for a while. If you keep it together, the school will be much more amenable toward recognizing you as a sorority.
This. There are two huge items that will influence your school to work with you about recognition.
1. There needs to be an unmet need across a BIG subsection of students at your school. How big is your interest group? If it's just you and a smallish group of friends, that's not very compelling.
2. You also have to prove through your actions that this new fledgling group is beneficial to the university community. How will the campus be a better place if your group is recognized? If you get recognized as a club, start doing highly visible projects on your campus like hosting speakers and seminars on domestic violence, voter registration drives, trick or treat for canned goods for a local food pantry, etc. They are less likely to recognize a group just because they've selected insignia and designed a secret handshake. They want to to see their students drive some positive change!
Old 08-06-2014, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Having been through this exact situation, then starting a club as your school is requesting that you do, here's my advice.

A club that was started because you and your group of friends didn't fit into any existing group isn't going to have longevity. A club that fits an unmet niche that a large number of other students could identify with would.

The club that I put a lot of time and energy into trying to get my alma mater to recognize as a local coed sorority is about to fold. I've just graduated, and it hurts to see all that hard work result in something that hasn't stood the test of time. There wasn't a large enough niche to be served on my campus that the organization could thrive and attract and bring in new members. We were only able to recruit a total of *one* new member in the course of a year. The same kinds of things that our group did, people did with their friends, including socializing, parties, girls only time and volunteer work and raising funds for good causes. The only difference between us and any other student club was that we had ritual, handshakes and a Greek letter name.

In the end, it was a hard lesson to learn that there wasn't a lasting place for the local organization.

Last edited by misscherrypie; 08-06-2014 at 10:21 PM.