GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,647
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, Rachiokzo
» Online Users: 1,530
1 members and 1,529 guests
Xidelt

Old 10-19-2001, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile WOW

I just wanted to update this particular thread and THANK ALL OF YOU for all of the great information that you took the time to reseach!

This is what GC is all about

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-19-2001, 11:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I know Alpha Chi Omega allows non-collegiate initiations. My chapter initiated our house mom my senior year. I don't know the process though.
Old 11-28-2001, 09:44 AM
Evergreen

Beta Sigma Phi website?

Does Beta Sigma Phi have a national website?
Old 11-28-2001, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Re: Beta Sigma Phi website?

www.betasigmaphi.org

Quote:
Originally posted by Evergreen
Does Beta Sigma Phi have a national website?
Old 11-28-2001, 06:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LXAAlum
LXA does "honorary" initiations, which would include alumni. A chapter around here recently invited the chapter cook to be initiated - he had done a very good job, and was very good to the chapter. I know several people who were "honorary" initiates, and, in most cases, they have turned out to be some of the best brothers I have met in the fraternity.
Old 11-28-2001, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Phi Mu does allow alumni initiates. When my pledge class was initiated, we actually had an alumni initiate with us.

I also know that Delta Chi allows certain outstanding alumni to become "father initiated." I'm not entirely certain how the process works, but I used to date a DX and he tried to explain it to me.
Old 03-10-2002, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Hello and welcome...

Alpha Phi does initiate alums and always welcomes new members either collegiate or alum...You simply need to get a "sponsor" who will write you a reccomendation. I helped to start the Alpha Phi chapter at my college and my mom was right beside me the whole way...she, just now, 15 years after my initiation/chartering, will be initiated as an alum. Check your local university for their sororities and then check out their alum groups...You'll have to find the one that is right for you...

I think it is great! Welcome!
Old 03-16-2002, 10:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
We also welcome women who are/were members of other sororities as well. One of my pledge sisters is a Delta Gamma, and another is a Sigma Kappa.
That raises a question for me---I'm still new to Greek Life, and I've never really been clear on what the policy is for movement between organizations. My impression was that once you join one organization, that's it, even if you leave them for whatever reason. I'm just curious, is that correct, or are there other sororities/fraternities that will welcome a prospective member who was or perhaps still is an initiate of another group???
Old 03-16-2002, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Sigma Sigma Sigma has an alumnae initiate program. My mother and 2 friends have been initiated so far with my support. You need the support of a National Officer or alumnae chapter or local chapter (they all can get the national officer support for you). They have the forms necessary to move the process forward.

After the National Organization has approved the request, then we move forward. The member has her New Member ceremony at the closest local or alumnae chapter (either can do all rituals). Then the National Organization sends the potential initiate a new member test and a Forever Sigma so that they can take their test. It is sent in graded and then the Potential initiate is either given clearance for initiation or not. The initiation must take place at the same place the New Member ceremony did.

There of course are fees, but they are nominal comparatively to being a collegian.

It's very special. Contact me if you have questions.
Old 03-16-2002, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloud9

That raises a question for me---I'm still new to Greek Life, and I've never really been clear on what the policy is for movement between organizations. My impression was that once you join one organization, that's it, even if you leave them for whatever reason. I'm just curious, is that correct, or are there other sororities/fraternities that will welcome a prospective member who was or perhaps still is an initiate of another group???
Cloud9, allow me to answer your question in 2 parts...
If you are initiated into 1 sorority of the National Panhellenic Conference (NPC), you CANNOT be initiated into another sorority of the National Panhellenic Conference. There are 26 in total.
These are the 26 groups in the NPC:
All 26 NPC groups:
Alpha Chi Omega
Alpha Delta Pi
Alpha Epsilon Phi
Alpha Gamma Delta
Alpha Omicron Pi
Alpha Phi
Alpha Sigma Alpha
Alpha Sigma Tau
Alpha Xi Delta
Chi Omega
Delta Delta Delta
Delta Gamma
Delta Phi Epsilon
Delta Zeta
Gamma Phi Beta
Kappa Alpha Theta
Kappa Delta
Kappa Kappa Gamma
Phi Mu
Phi Sigma Sigma
Pi Beta Phi
Sigma Delta Tau
Sigma Kappa
Sigma Sigma Sigma
Theta Phi Alpha
Zeta Tau Alpha

However, the sorority that localsororities was referring to is Beta Sigma Phi, which is *NOT* a member of the National Panhellenic Conference.
Beta Sigma Phi is not a local group..they have chapters all over the world, but they are a non-collegiate sorority.
Therefore, it would indeed be permissible to be:
A Chi Omega and a Beta Sigma Phi
A Kappa Kappa Gamma and a Beta Sigma Phi
A Kappa Delta and a Beta Sigma Phi
A Delta Gamma and a Beta Sigma Phi...
I am sure that you catch my drift!

Last edited by CutiePie2000; 03-16-2002 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-16-2002, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Exactly CutiePie,
One of my new sisters was in a local group in college and just initiated into Tri Sigma. She's a great new sister.
Old 03-16-2002, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Say what?!

wow, really? I'm in a local organization now, and I plan to go on to grad school after graduation...AND I'd still like to be a part of greek life wherever I end up. So if there was a national organization there that interested me, I would actually be able to look into it as a perspective member??? And if so, how would that work? Would it be the same as the alumni initiation process? This would be a bit in the future, but it would be good to have the preliminary info!
Old 03-16-2002, 04:43 PM

Exclamation Re: Say what?!

Quote:
wow, really? I'm in a local organization now, and I plan to go on to grad school after graduation...AND I'd still like to be a part of greek life wherever I end up. So if there was a national organization there that interested me, I would actually be able to look into it as a perspective member??? And if so, how would that work? Would it be the same as the alumni initiation process? This would be a bit in the future, but it would be good to have the preliminary info!
Cloud9, To be an alumna initiate, there are 2 things:
1. You must not be an initiated member of any other National Panhellenic Conference (NPC) group.
2. You must not at the time of seeking initiation, meet the criteria for being a collegiate member.

To be an alumna initiate, you don't just "sign up"...you often must be introduced to the alumnae chapter by an alumna member in good standing. You would get to know the group, then the group would decide whether they would like to sponsor you for membership.
There are some good links on the web about this...
Alpha Phi
Alpha Sigma Tau
Alpha Omicron Pi
Alpha Delta Pi
Pi Beta Phi
Gamma Phi Beta

will get you started. Nearly all 26 groups initiate non-collegiate women (I only put up the groups which have explicit information right there on their National Websites). The only ones who don't don't initiate Non-Collegiate women are Kappa Kappa Gamma. Also, I should qualify that I know that Chi Omega *does* have Special Initiates, but it is not done very often.

Good luck.

Last edited by CutiePie2000; 03-19-2002 at 12:02 AM.
Old 07-06-2002, 01:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to phisigduchesscv
34 and a grad student

Quote:
Cloud9,
I just discovered this thread here. If you are going on to graduate school you might look at some of the NPC groups, such as Phi Sigma Sigma, because they initiate graduate students into their organization.
I am 34, a grad student, and a founding sister of my chapter of Phi Sigma Sigma. We celebrated our 1 year anniversary a couple of months ago.
The only problem is the local organization that you are a member of. As someone else posted if you were initiated into an NPC group you're unable to initiate into another. Not sure how the local thing plays in to that.
Carolyn

IG - CKA
Vice Archon - So. LA County Alumnae Chapter
Old 07-06-2002, 02:46 AM
Super Moderator

Sigma Nu does not have "Honorary" Initiation. You are either an Initiate... Or you're not. I did however personally oversee the initiation of several alums that were invited back when we got our charter after 2 years of work... (some had to graduate in that period)... I also oversaw (I wrote and corresponded with HQ on the matter) the initiation of our faculty advisor who is an official of the University that was particularly influential in getting our colony started. He was also been indispensible in our progress towards being a chapter.

Sigma Nu does not grant alumni initiations lightly. All of them must be approved by our Executive Director (I think our High Council may have something to do with it as well). Like anyone else they also require the same vote for initiation as any other active.

But as far as inviting our parents back or initiating friends... that doesn't happen except for in EXTREME circumstances where these folks have demonstrated service and committment.

Hope that helps
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma