View Single Post
Old 08-14-2001, 04:23 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by happyowl:
I think it is wonderful that women who didn't have the chance to be initiated into a sorority while in college still have the option to share in the Greek bonds.

Exactly. This was the case with me...I was not initiated into a sorority in university and I thought that I had missed my opportunity by not pledgeing in college, until I (thankfully) discovered alumnae initiates.

Also, in many cases, it is my belief that Alumnae Initiates come about like so:
A Daughter goes to college and goes Greek. Then, her non-Greek Mom gets actively involved in the Daughter's chapter; consequently the Daughter's chapter loves the Mom and appreciates all of Mom's hard work and efforts, and Mom ends up getting initiated too!

For example, does the potential new member need to contact the national HQ for an introduction or can this be handled by a local alum group? I am sure this will help answer a few questions for potential new members.

Here's my thoughts on that.....
My *personal* belief is that a Prospective
Alumna Initiate should contact the Head Office of the NPC group that they're interested in and explain that they are interested in being a "Prospective Alumna Initiate". Be sure to be truthful and explicitly state that you never joined a sorority in college. If you were pledged in college, but never fully initiated into membership....that might be different..
Furthermore, if you do NOT know know any members personally, say so in your letter. That way, the Head Office may pave the way to an Introduction to the local alumnae chapter. (Somewhere along the way, you will need an alumna to sponsor you for membership, so you will need to get to know a sorority member personally, eventually, in order for you to apply to be approved for membership.) That being said, Head Office MAY do an introduction for you via letter or email, but nothing is for sure. Each NPC group seems to react a bit differently with regards to this type of pursuit. Also, what is the extent of your college education? (some NPC's want 1 year of college, some want 2, some want a full 4 year degree, some say no college is a prerequisite).

I would caution you against contacting an alumna chapter directly yourself...best to let Head Office make the introduction. I only say this, because if you contact the alums of ___ sorority YOURSELF, they might erroneously assume that you already are a fully initiated member of ____ sorority who is new to the area, and then you have to clarify that "no" you're not a ____sorority member, but rather that you're seeking out being a prospective alumna initiate.

You do not want to get off on the wrong foot, as it can be difficult to "back peddle", smooth things over and do damage control. Best to email Head Office and let them set things up (and always always always be upfront that you are NOT an initiated member of that group, just to be on the safe side).

Just my 2 cents, but I have seen 2 misunderstandings(!!) occur from Prospective Alumna Initiates who contacted the alumnae orgs directly and the alums thought they ALREADY were initiated members...it just made for an ackward situation and kind of got things off on the wrong foot!