View Single Post
Old 08-14-2001, 03:56 PM

Talking

Here are some responses from various NPC orgs that I have acquired when I was doing my research on Alumnae Initiates.

You can see that they all have slightly varied approaches for Prospective Alumnae Initiates (i.e. some NPCs like a Prospective Alumna Initiate to have a college degree, others it is not mandatory, and "some" college is just fine).
------------------------
Alpha Delta Pi:
does consider, in special instances, women for its Alumnae Initiate program. According to ADPi’s policy, potential members must be recommended by an Alpha Delta Pi collegiate chapter, an alumnae association, or three individual Alpha Delta Pi alumnae members in good standing.

Delta Gamma:
has an alumnae initiate program where sometimes women are initiated depending on the individual situation. A prospective initiate does need to be sponsored by a Delta Gamma. They would need to contact Delta Gamma and request the application for Prospective Initiates, then we would look it over and go from there.

Pi Beta Phi:
Pi Phi does have a procedure for alum initiates. However, there are several steps for the process. The initiate would have to have attended a four year, accredited university or college. She would be sponsored by an alumnae club and a Pi Phi chapter. And she would be voted on by Grand Council. If a Prospective Alumna Initiate did attend an accredited, four year university, you would qualify. And, if that individual has a Pi Phi friend, she could begin the process for you.

Gamma Phi Beta:
Alumnae Initiates are women who become members of Gamma Phi Beta as alumnae. They may be women who never attended college, who attended a school that did not have a Gamma Phi Beta chapter or who did not join a National Panhellenic Conference sorority while in college. The process of becoming an alumnae initiate usually begins with a local alumnae chapter. If you do not already know any Gamma Phi Beta's, I would suggest that you contact the President of the closest Gamma Phi alumnae chapter to you. I would be more than happy to give you that information. The President would then most likely invite you to one of her chapter's events, so that you may become more familiar with what it means to be an alumna member of Gamma Phi Beta. After you have decided that you are indeed interested, an application is submitted on your behalf from a member who will be your sponsor. She will take you through the education part of the program and eventually see you through the initiation which will be held at a local collegiate chapter.

Kappa Delta:
I am the National Vice President - Alumnae for Kappa Delta Sorority and your request for information regarding alumnae initiation was forwarded to me for a reply. We do not have a specific alumnae initiate program although we do, under specific circumstances alumnae initate women. Normally these women are working with one of our college chapters as perhaps a facullty advisor or have had contact with an alumnae association who then nominates them for alumnae initiation.

Kappa Kappa Gamma:
Currently KKG only offer membership to women who are enrolled as full time students at one of the 128 colleges where we have collegiate chapters. KKG has no vehicle to initiate women who are not college students or who have graduated from college interested in membership.

Zeta Tau Alpha:
ZTA does have an Alumnae Initiates program and the process is as follows:
A ZTA alumnae may recommend outstanding women from their communities for membership in ZTA. A four year period must have elapsed between the time she left college and the time she would be initiated. The unanimous vote of National Council is required. It is desirable the woman has attended and institute of higher learning, although not required to be a graduate. She should bring to the membership the attributes hoped for in each new member. Approval of the recommendation is not automatic. If you are interested in becoming an alumnae initiate, it is important to show sincere interest in our organization. Alumnae who do recommend women to become alumna initiates usually do so because the unaffiliated woman becomes involved with a collegiate or alumnae chapter, supports our programs, reflects our values and demonstrated a commitment to lifelong membership. There is a definite relationship formed with the members of ZTA prior to becoming recommended for membership. Women do not generally "Seek out" becoming an alumnae initiate. It usually happens because the collegiate or alumnae members feel the woman would be an asset to our organization. If you are interested in sorority membership and have no special group attachment, perhaps there are other groups whose programs operates differently than ZTAs. But, if you do have an ongoing relationship with ZTA, you can inform the members that you are interested in becoming an alumna initiate. Again, there are no guarantees they will start the process or that National Council will approve the recommendation. ZTA typically approves under ten women a year for this honor.

Alpha Sigma Tau:
anyone interested in membership as an alumnae member must have completed at least one year of college, and generally we want to find out what you know about our sorority. An alumnae or collegiate member must recommend someone for membership as an alumnae affiliate. I have had similar requests, and generally want the individuals to meet other alumnae in an area, if we have an organized alumnae association, and then if the members in the association want to recommend the individual for membership, that would be great!

Alpha Gamma Delta:
Alpha Gamma Delta does have an Alumna Initiate Program whereby our members can recommend friends, relatives, co-workers, etc. for Initiation. The member would bring this potential initiate to Alpha Gamma Delta events to meet the other members in her alumnae chapter/club and the chapter can begin the process of recommendation.
--------------------------------------
This list is by no means "complete", but just gives an idea! Thanks!

[This message has been edited by CutiePie2000 (edited August 15, 2001).]