GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   University of Texas, Austin (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=36129)

JohnsDGsweethrt 07-16-2003 03:26 AM

I wonder if we are the ones who rented the ship. Sounds about right. LOL. Dido on the Johnny Depp. LOL

KappaKittyCat 07-16-2003 09:49 AM

GeekyPenguin, it'd be even more difficult & expensive for Tri-Delta; they have to rent a moon and three stars!

JohnsDGsweethrt, I'd guess that it was either you or Tri-Sigma (if there's a chapter there-- I don't know).

This shows how much of a dork I am: I dreamed last night that we all decided to have one big rush at a zoo so we wouldn't have to transport the animals.

sugar and spice 07-16-2003 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by KappaKittyCat
GeekyPenguin, it'd be even more difficult & expensive for Tri-Delta; they have to rent a moon and three stars!

JohnsDGsweethrt, I'd guess that it was either you or Tri-Sigma (if there's a chapter there-- I don't know).

This shows how much of a dork I am: I dreamed last night that we all decided to have one big rush at a zoo so we wouldn't have to transport the animals.

Either a moon and three stars, or a dolphin . . . either way it would be difficult! :p

I think rush at the zoo would be hilarious.

JohnsDGsweethrt 07-16-2003 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by KappaKittyCat

Yes I forgot Tri-Sigma has the sailboat. That dream is too funny!

bruinaphi 07-16-2003 06:18 PM

Like AlphaXiGirl said, there is the issue of having enough. Some chapters are able to wash some of it between parties but it is hard to get lipstick off and the staff have other things to do besides washing rush glasses.

Furthermore, for pref you often need random pieces of china and crystal (for instance, one of my chapters did parfaits a few years ago for one pref party -- how to serve the parfait was a three week debate) and they want different patterns for the plates and silver from year to year.

While the chapter houses are large there is a lot of "stuff" to store and space can be at a premium. In terms of long term planning it is easier and less expensive for the chapters to rent a lot of this from year to year than it is to buy it.

ZetaMelOU 07-17-2003 04:28 AM

Well I go to the University of Oklahoma (haha...Boo Texas!!! :D ), and the way our recruitment system is set up here is that quota is set so that every girl going through rush will get a bid if she doesn't decide to drop out or go suicide. You have your prefs and the houses do their prefs and a computer program takes the figures and automatically does the calculations as to who goes where and stuff based on who you picked and how the houses rank you. That way, everyone is put somewhere. Girls aren't guarenteed 2 houses on pref night, but if you get 2 houses on pref night, you are guarenteed a bid from at least one of the houses. The thing about it is that quota is set from day one (I believe it's the total number of girls rushing divided by 12) and girls drop out, so everyone gets 2 houses on pref night. The catch is that if all the houses cut you, you'll wind up getting houses that you cut on the first day of rush on pref night (it's very very unlikely). I really do like our system of going about it. I bet Texas has something similar.

ZetaMelOU 07-17-2003 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by phimuandfries
How important is being in a GLO at UT? It sounds like a huge campus and a relatively small portion of it being Greek. Do guys have the same degree of difficulty when it comes to getting into a frat?

From what I've heard greek life isn't a huge deal at UT at all since it is such a huge school. They have over 50000 people at the school and less than a thousand rush a year. I know here at OU, like 25% of all undergrad women are greek which makes it HUGE here. But I've heard from my friends at UT that Greek life isn;t so big there when it seems to dominate the school here.

fire1977 07-18-2003 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by JohnsDGsweethrt
Yes I forgot Tri-Sigma has the sailboat. That dream is too funny!
Please, you think that's bad.....

Try finding a unicorn in august...oh wait..

lol

Try finding a unicorn!

KillarneyRose 07-18-2003 10:38 PM

I'm confused by all the Texas schools. Is UT where Jenna Bush attends school?

ZetaMelOU 07-18-2003 10:42 PM

Yup! Jenna Bush goes to UT...I think she might be a theta there?

GeekyPenguin 07-19-2003 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by ZetaMelOU
Yup! Jenna Bush goes to UT...I think she might be a theta there?
She is, as is her twin sister and her mother.

aggieAXO 07-19-2003 02:23 AM

I usually help out with rush at UT. Last year I believe quota was 63. On pref. night we do wash cups and dishes between the 3 parties-it is like a mad rush to get all of it done on time. I think quota was set on day 3. It is a very competitive rush but like someone said earlier all of the chapters are strong and there is a place for everyone IMO.

twinstars 07-19-2003 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
She is, as is her twin sister and her mother.
I don't think the other sister (Barbara?) is a Theta- I thought it was just Jenna and the First Lady.

Munchkin03 07-19-2003 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by twinstars
I don't think the other sister (Barbara?) is a Theta- I thought it was just Jenna and the First Lady.
I know it's been discussed here before, but this is what I thought:

Jenna: UT Theta
Barbara: Yale Theta

DGMarie 07-19-2003 06:29 PM

Theta

I read all three were, including Dick Cheney's wife.